Monday, January 21, 2013

Hot Yoga

One of my  New Year's Goals was to try hot yoga at least once, and today was the day!  I certainly did not leave empty-handed...
I'll walk you through a bit of my experience.

Random thoughts:
The room was 105 degrees, and by the middle of the class everyone's sweating pretty heavily - I mean you literally see sweat falling off people onto their mats.  When you're supposed to grab your leg or arm or any place that doesn't have clothing, it's seriously hard to hold on because your body is so slippery.  I was particularly fortunate (insert sarcasm here) to have a shirtless man in spandex shorts with a big diamond stud earring in his ear in the spot right next to me - perhaps 24 inches at the most away from me.  He was pouring the sweat... At one point the instructor challenged us to do a head stand.  I did not take that challenge as I was pretty sure that the result of my attempt would scathe the peacefulness of the class.  Sweaty spandex man DID take the challenge, however, and as I was doubled over looking through my legs in the stretching pose we were supposed to be in, I watched as he started to lift his feet up....all I could think of was that if he fell on me it would be awful.
He did not fall...meaning I ended the class with only my own sweat on my body - for which I am extremely thankful.

Physical:  A-MAZE-ING!  I love heat, I love to sweat, and I love stretching...so this was a fantastic combination for me.  My muscles felt incredible when it was over - perhaps as good or even better than they did after the last massage I got.  Loved that.  I think that if I did this habitually, my body, muscles, and bum hamstring would be all the better for it. Seriously.

Spiritual:  I've been to some yoga classes that had a more "general" spiritual slant to it.  This is nice because if you're beliefs are not in line with many of the beliefs that accompany yoga, you can fairly easily turn it into a time of prayer to God.  This class, however, was much more specific in yoga-ish  spirituality.  My third eye was refered to on multiple occasions, blue light was supposedly in my mouth at one point?, and I was told that I was a self-healer (I am not) as well as other things.  These were only a few of the spiritual references....The general idea that seemed to be expressed throughout class was that I am the master of myself, I am the one who heals, brings peace, and lets go....the power is from me and in me, instead of from an outside force or being.
Although I certainly appreciate the peacefulness and quiet of yoga... and I love that letting go of the craziness and business of life to slow down is valued and a core part of the practice...after being in this class, I am reminded of how thankful I am that I am not in charge of these things in my life.  I am the undeserving recipient of GRACE!   I surrender, and He takes care of the rest.  I have a God who is a healer, a God who brings peace, and a God who shines HIS light through me.  If I really were in charge of my healing, or my peacefulness, or my rest...I'd be screwed.  Thanks to God for making me what I'm not and putting His power into my life to make me more than I am.

Favorite Saying of the class:  There is one particular phrase that the instructor mentioned that I loved.  Unfortuately I have to paraphrase as I can't recall her exact words... She challenged us on several occasions to push past the place that we thought was the challenge to get to the real challenge. I thought that was such a great saying.  It reminded me of the quote about praying not for crutches but for wings.  It's so true that we expect such meager things, when mountain moving is available.  Thank you yoga instructor for that quote!

So Nathalie and I left - hot, stretched, and in conversation about all that had happened.  And coming home she introduced me to some magic potion lotion that I tried....tingly and amazing!  Will I go back - not to this particular place - due to the spiritual component in this class.  Am I challenged to stretch more in hot environments...For sure!

So there you have it.  Hot Yoga completed. 
Signing off,
Danielle