Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Kisses from Katie

I'm reading the book Kisses from Katie, about a gal named Katie Davis who went to Uganda to live at the age of 19.  She's now a mother to 14 children at the age of 22 and runs a non-profit that helps children in poverty be educated...I'm in the 4th chapter and am just amazed at her beautiful, relentless faith...here's an excerpt:

     "People often ask if I think my life is dangerous, if I am afraid.  I am much more afraid of remaining comfortable.  Matthew 10:28 tell us not to fear things that can destroy the body, but things that can destroy the soul.  I am surrounded by things that can destroy the body.  I interact almost daily with people who have deadly diseases, and many times I am the only person who can help them.  I live in a country with one of the world's longest-running wars taking place just a few hours away.  Uncertainty is everywhere.  But I am living in the midst of the uncertainty and risk, amid things that can and do bring physical destruction, because I am running from things that can destroy my soul;  complacency, comfort, and ignorance.  I am much more terrified of living a comfortable life in a self-serving society and failing to follow Jesus than I am of any illness or tragedy.
     Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He warned us to be safe.   We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us.  And there is no better place to be than in His hands."  pg. XIX-XX

"Running from things that can destroy my soul"...


In Uganda, Katie is surrounded by thing that can destroy the body...I would argue that here in the USA, I'm surrounded by so many things that threaten to destroy my soul - the enemy seeks to draw me away from my Redeemer and settle me into this half-hearted, half-committed, life of comfort...
and miss the whole point of why I'm here.  Or settle for far less than God made me to be.  
I need to RUN away.
Not walk.
Not meander.
RUN.

The longer I live I see the brevity of life...and in this brevity we have a short number of years to make a difference...to draw others to the love, the freedom, the eternal life found only in Jesus.  I don't want to be afraid.  I want to be wrecked.  Changed.  I want to be bold.  I want to take risks.  I want to be one who loves...and loves extravagantly.

No doubt there will be more posted from this book as I read along...but in the meantime, here's a short video...well worth watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY0YGrGZdR4