Friday, December 6, 2013

Summer - Part 2

So it's now December, which means I should probably wrap up my posting about summer :)

In a commitment to looking at the beautiful parts of this past summer and seeing God's goodness and grace...here is Summer Part 2:


*Saw my niece Eloise jump off the diving board for the first time.


According to Eloise, the goggles were necessary.
Here she goes!

*Picked Rasperries at Mom and Dad's house.  And fed fish at the pond.




Dad loves feeding the fish!




*Camden Park with the family.  Think West Virginia....and roller coasters that are operated by wooden levers.  You can practically take infants on the rides with you.  Not safe.  I feared for my life on several occasions...which we decided is part of what makes it so fun.  You might die on any of these rides at any time...literally.  The fear is so real.  It is thrilling.

Barrett, Jill and I getting ready to get on the wooden coaster!

Notice the WOODEN levers running the coaster!


*Went to Hawaii with Mom, Kristie, and Lauren!  
Beauty UNLEASHED.  I thought to myself several times while there ...If Heaven is anything like this place....then we're in for a real treat.

While there we...
- Drove the Northwest coast
- Snorkeled in Hanalai Bay -  that you get to by literally hiking through some man's property...this is sort of thing that makes Hawaii what it is.
- Lauren and I climbed up and then cliff jumped off the black rock at Kenapali Beach
- Experienced a black sand beach on the Road to Hana
- Went on a stupid sugar plantation tour
- Body Boarded for literally hours at Napali Bay with Lauren.  Oh gosh I WISH I could put words to this…wave after wave after wave….This is perhaps one of the very most fun things I have ever done in my life.
-Drove the Road to Hana (even the one lane part) and we were even still speaking to each other when we returned (like 12 hours later).  Anyone who've driven this road will understand this.

No doubt about it - Hawaii is amazing.  Stunning.  What a great trip!

At the airport
Hanalai Bay - snorkeling

Mom and I at the Luau
Black Sand Beach on the Road to Hana
                                         
Just to give you a clue of how crazy these waves were - Lauren got up from one
wave "ride" and her swimsuit top was on….but turned completely inside out!
How did that happen?!  We did this for hours.  Truly the best waves I've EVER experienced! 
At a park
Seriously?!  Rainbows nearly every day...
West Coast Drive!  My favorite part of the island.


*Got invaded by beetles.  Have learned to make peace with them.
Please God make the larvae inside the walls of my house (that no one can get to…) die this winter!


* I got to see my friends from Venezuela because they were in the states visiting!  I spent a month living in Caracas with Zandra back in 2000….love that I got to catch up with them and see their beautiful children!



*Went to Nada with various friends 3 times in 3 weeks.  LOVE that place. 
One of these was a birthday dinner complete with birds swooping at my friends' heads.  Thanks for staying outside despite the birds….you know how being inside on nice days makes me feel like I'm in jail.

Chicken and Corn Enchilada, Guacamole and Dear Friends….Blessed.
37 years young…Bring it.


*The McKinneys and Presleys got together to celebrate Jason's life near the 9 year anniversary of his going home to be with Jesus.
I love that our families love each other.  I miss him.

The Presley's Backyard - July 6, 2013

*Experienced the Aquarium with Denise, Claudette, Samantha, and Jason.
What an amazing place!  Seriously.  I love it.  We had a grilled cheese sandwich at Tom and Chee afterwards.  And more importantly, I married in to an absolutely beautiful family, and I love spending time with them!
My life is better because of them.


*Kings Island with Heather and Cat.


* Went to the Rodeo with Dave, Karen, and Mike to see some bull riding.  
Did you know there are DOGS that actually chase these big bulls back into the pen?  It's crazy.  These little bitty things run around like they own the place and the bulls seem to actually believe them.  I hear this is a rodeo for posers.  I think it's totally the real deal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNI8YS1gKWE
(The ride starts around the 1 minute mark.  Notice "Thunder" playing in the background.  Seriously, does that look like a "poser" rodeo to you!?)


* Hiked with Tucker….Love my dog!  
Had a terrifying scare with Tucker this summer, and I really believe God saved my dog.  And I am grateful.  Not kidding.
Seriously, if you don't have a dog…go get one.  Like right now.






* Audrey's Birthday Party! 
What a big gal she is now!  She's so grown up.  Silly, beautiful, sweet girl.  Love her tons.  And little Natalie…well, that picture just says it all :)




*College gals came to visit!  (minus Kelly - we missed you!)
The summer after our Freshman year of college we met in Cincinnati for a reunion because we missed each other so much (1995)….and this makes something like our 19th year getting together since our first year.  OH how I love these girls.  They've known me since I was 18….and there's something really special about that.

Downtown Swings by the Ohio River

Duck Boat Tour

The one and only Findlay Market


*Painted a cool picture with girlfriends at Cheers to Art!  




*Labor Day Firefighters' Pancake Breakfast in Cedarville with Claudette, Wakefield, Samantha, and Grandad!  
This is an annual tradition, and I adore it!  My niece, Samantha, drove me all over on the golf cart!




*Mud Stash Obstacle Course with Lindsay, Kevin, and Chris. 
Nasty Nasty Nasty.  But now that I've had some time to get over it…I'll totally do it again.



So…as I reconsider the summer of 2013 and post these pictures, I almost hesitate, because I know how blogs and Facebook and all that tends to make a person's life look all rosy and posy.

And the honest reality is that for a variety of reasons my summer was emotionally very hard…
BUT
despite any sorrows, any waiting, any difficulties…. despite the ways that life just doesn't make sense to me…

I look at these pictures and know some things for sure.

I am blessed.  And I am thankful.  

AND There you have it - The Summer (and early Autumn) of 2013.